Out along Turnagain Arm, when timing is right with the tide (about 3 hours before high tide in Anchorage,) you can see Belugas! They are feeding off the little fish they follow in with the tide.
Yeah, see that long white speck? Dat be a Beluga. I know, lame. Have to admit, it's much more exciting in person. Although my friend got a full shot of a tail, none that I were following stuck their tails out for me. I did get a few that turned out a little better than this one.

But first, you know we have to throw rocks in the water...

...and it was a beautiful day...one of very few this summer that we actually saw the sun!

This one is better, but these guys don't really give us much to go on! You couldn't make out heads or tails on any that I saw or got pictures of.

I'm guessing that is the head of a baby that popped up beside mama.

Baby went under, but mama is still trying to work that tail up...

She never did let me see her tail. Since it was moving to the right, I'm assuming the head is to the right, and the tail the left.

Another mama and baby.

Here was an unexpected surprise! I was so happy to see this guy, because I could actually make out the head! LOL
How cool! I so miss going there...your pictures bring back memories of th train trip I took to Seward...I loved that part of the trip the best...I rode on the back of the train and watched for whales! Thanks for sharing the pics!Miss you my friend!
ReplyDeleteMiss you too! And love the pics of your new place!! I'm so jealous. :-) I'm trying to convince Cal that I need to go on a train trip to Seward before he leaves. Wish you were here to go with me!
ReplyDelete