When Matthew heard we were going to be walking through the woods and going to "the beach." He had two questions: What if we see a moose and bear? And, are we going to Hawaii? (big smile) I told him if we saw a moose we'd give it space. If we saw a bear, Daddy would keep it entertained while we walk away. LOL And, (sigh) no, this beach isn't in Hawaii.
This is where we ended up coming down the bluff. Not sure this picture does it justice. It was steep, narrow, and sandy....hard to get good footing. No problem for the adults and older boys, but the whole way down I was thinking to myself, "there is no way we're getting Emma and Matthew back up this." I was a little concerned as this was my first time here, and I didn't know if we would be able to find a different way back up. Going down didn't seem like such a good idea for Matthew and Emma. Maybe I'm just a worry wart.
Once we got down, the wind was RIDICULOUS. It was nice for the kids to run, but you couldn't really enjoy a leisurely walk with all that wind. We didn't stay down there long. Walked a very short way and found an easier path back up.
Not long after we made it back to the coastal trail we came around a corner and met up with this fellow. I've been waiting a year for a good moose sighting, and there he was right in front of us blocking our way. We were just far enough away that we could sit him out. But if he decided to come on down the path rather than into the woods, WE would have to go into the woods so as not to chance being too close if he were startled. Not good. Just off the path was an abundance of high standing leafless stems of thorns. Think roses ten times worse.They were everywhere. I was not relishing the thought of going into that. Please Mr. Moose, your long legs are used to these thorns....just turn a little and go back into the woods.
We figured he was around 3 or 4 years old. He stood for a few minutes then turned off the path. Wooo hooo, we thought he was going back into the woods and we would be able to pass. Nope. He was just hungry. Still too close to the path for us to go. So we waited. Talking....waiting.....talking....waiting.
Meandered a little more towards the woods, but still not far enough.



No comments:
Post a Comment