(1) 12-yo boy + (3) goldfish + (1) science fair experiment = do you really want to know? I will tell you if you promise not send those P-E-T-A people after me. It's not that bad really. It's not very intelligent or thought provoking either.....I'm thinking not anyway....maybe I'm wrong?? To put a goldfish in the dark to see if it lightens in color? Maybe a little interesting, but change the world? Nah. Change the world? Did I say that out loud? Guess my expectations of a 12-yo take-the-path-of-least-resistance boy are a little high. *Sigh* Who knows though? Maybe this experiment will lead to the discovery of some sort of pigment injection that will prevent skin cancer in humans 30 years from now. See, I can think positively.
I will say though, I was quite pleased that we didn't have to provide him with examples of what he could do. When I first asked him about it, he said he already knew what he was going to do. What???? Really???? Cool!!! So I didn't argue. He also didn't get it teacher approved. (He insists that the science teacher doesn't like him and won't talk to him.) Hmmm....I'm not arguing that one either. He's a big boy....let the would-be consequences of his actions fall where they may.
At one point, he did say, "I like this school better, but at least at Burk we weren't required to do a project for the science fair. Why do we have to do it anyway?" To which I replied, "Maybe because the words "science and math school" follow the name of this school? Cal came home from lunch and said that I'd already messed up the entire experiment. Because, the lids are different colors and each color will reflect light differently. Ooops. Oh well. He said he was joking and it wouldn't be a big deal with these little plastic pieces. Plus, it's not like Thomas is trying to develop some skin cancer preventative. He's not?
I will say though, I was quite pleased that we didn't have to provide him with examples of what he could do. When I first asked him about it, he said he already knew what he was going to do. What???? Really???? Cool!!! So I didn't argue. He also didn't get it teacher approved. (He insists that the science teacher doesn't like him and won't talk to him.) Hmmm....I'm not arguing that one either. He's a big boy....let the would-be consequences of his actions fall where they may.
At one point, he did say, "I like this school better, but at least at Burk we weren't required to do a project for the science fair. Why do we have to do it anyway?" To which I replied, "Maybe because the words "science and math school" follow the name of this school? Cal came home from lunch and said that I'd already messed up the entire experiment. Because, the lids are different colors and each color will reflect light differently. Ooops. Oh well. He said he was joking and it wouldn't be a big deal with these little plastic pieces. Plus, it's not like Thomas is trying to develop some skin cancer preventative. He's not?
We'll keep you posted on the status of Mr. Goldfish's skin color.....I know the anticipation will keep you on pins and needles. This little experiment is two or three weeks, so you'll have to settle down a little.



Now I wait with "baited" breath - bahaha! Sorry couldn't resist the pun. I'm curious to see how Mr Goldy's goldness if affected.
ReplyDelete