Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Got Milk?

We do!
I was doing a short commissary run and milk was on the list. Grabbed my normal gallon of skim, dropped it in the cart, then spotted a red sticker as I was moving down the milk aisle. Red sticker can only mean ONE thing in the shopping world....REDUCED or CLEARANCE. *insert screaching halt* Upon inspection, 1 gallon whole milk was marked down to $1.82, because it expired in 2 days and they had quite an abundance. $1.82?!?!?! I was in disbelief...no way. Second look. Oh yeah baby. I swear my heart started racing. Must be the Melba Miller in me. Not sure, but with 2 chest freezers at home, I started re-arranging the cart to fit the milk. (I would say that confirms it's the Melba in me.) Um, so yeah, we now have 10 gallons of milk in the garage freezer. We normally drink skim, but for that price, I don't think the extra fat will hurt us.

UPDATE: Ok, so some people think it's silly to have that much milk in the freezer. Here is my rationale...... milk is normally around $3.26 at the commissary. A little more depending on the time of the month, and I have found it on sale off base for $2.99. We go through a gallon about every 3 days. So, to find it for $1.82???? I'm stocking up! It freezes very well. I poured a little off the top for expansion then let it sit on the counter to thaw. Shake every once in a while, and it's perfect. Bonus- I forgot how yummy whole milk is until now. I hope I can go back.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it's silly to have that much milk in the freezer....we have 6-9 gallons in the fridge at any given time LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's silly. I find even 2% too rich for me (when we're visiting people who "don't believe" in skim milk), so I water it down in my glass ... will last even longer :)

    ReplyDelete