Unofficially, today was Emma's second second day of school and Matthew's first second day of school. (They are in the same class.) Officially, it was neither one of them's any something day of school. Got that? Not sure I do either. They started part-day preschool at the child development center (fancy name for daycare center) on base Tuesday. Tuesdays and Thursdays for 2.5 hours in the morning. I was watching all these parents, (that would be 2 parents per child- yes, other parent took off work to escort first parent and child to *school*) Tuesday morning with their cameras and oooo and ahhh's. Hugging the kids over and over, saying bye 50 times, and hanging around to watch. The poor kids didn't have a chance. My kids just ran off to check out the water table and observe the gerbils. Oh yeah, "Bye mom," as they wave and run off. I was left wondering what the big deal was, and where the heck was my escort??
Came to the conclusion that I don't perceive it as "real" school. School doesn't "really" start until Kindergarten, right??? I guess....?? My perception of this *school* is it's something fun & somewhat educational for them to do while I go grocery shopping, do laundry, clean out a closet, have brunch/coffee with a friend, sit and do nothing, etc. Kinda like Mom's Day Out, except I don't get a whole day. No big deal. I could see if it were all day, or even half a day, but it's ONLY 2.5 hours! What am I missing??? Why wasn't I freaking out about them being there? I hope I don't have some deeply buried unkown desire to not want to be with them! They can drive me crazy sometimes, but I don't wish them away.
It was a little quiet around here this morning (Thomas was home sick Tuesday, so it doesn't count.) Maybe not a good quiet, but it didn't last long. Only 2.5 hours!
So, the guilt kicked in and I took my camera to *school* this morning. Was thinking it was weird for me to not have been thinking pictures/scrapbook page, so I better get something for the scrapbook. Still didn't have an escort, but I figured that wasn't my guilt to claim. And, I still don't believe they are officially in school.
All said, the teacher told me that Matthew got a little teary-eyed and said he missed his mommy. It was only for a few seconds and he was fine after she gave him a hug, but, Oh my poor little babyyyyy!!! I scooped him up into a great big bear hug. Aawwwww and he had pictures for me. (Maybe he wouldn't have time to think about missing me if they would let the kids hold the gerbils. Now we're gonna have to get a gerbil.)
P.S. I think Emma looks like Cynthia in this picture.



I can't believe how big they are getting!!!
ReplyDelete