Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 2


Our second day started out a little dreary. There was moderate snow fall during the first hour, but it didn't stick to the road.
It soon cleared and this was our last moose sighting. Bye-bye Moose...we're going to miss you!

And bye-bye Alaska 



It was a frost heave kind of day
Jake waiting for his turn to go potty during a quick rest stop

The lone rider. Ok, so if I were in much better shape, I might consider biking the ALCAN in the middle of summer, but in early spring when snow showers are still common? Matthew borrowed a phrase from his teacher and told us, "that guy has lost his marbles!"


Dall Sheep on side of mountain at Kluane Lake. I saw the sign that said "Watch for sheep on the road" and thought about Turnagain Arm. You know they are there, and you hear people talk about seeing them on the road, but I've never seen one on the road. I've considered myself lucky to see one way up at the top of the cliffs that looks like a white speck until I get the binoculars. So, read the sign and thought, yeah right. Few seconds later we saw these guys all over the hill. Not on the road of course.
Our view at Kluane Kampgroud that night. The sun came out!


Burning energy after stopping for the day





Giving me the evil eye, because we won't let her out. She managed to push the screen open a couple of times.


That would be an "it's only the second day of driving" smile.


His leg comes straight out when he hits the birdie! LOL


"WHAT? I have to ride again tomorrow?!"

The rocks and dirt lasted the entire trip. I guess some things never get boring.

Our Lady of the Way Catholic Church, Haines Jct, Yukon
This was built in 1954 by Father E. Morriset, the first Catholic priest in the area. Resources were scarce, so he used an old Quanset Hut that had been used by the army during construction of the Alaska Highway. (I admit...I had no idea what I Quanset Hut was and googled it. Wikipedia has a good description and familiar pictures.)

No comments:

Post a Comment