Thursday, August 19, 2010

With Emma starting school, I signed Matthew up for another Knee-High Naturalist class at the Nature Center. (Emma starts school on Tuesday!)

They were reading "Blueberries for Sal," I wonder at this particular moment was the story talking about making blueberry jam?
After the story, our walk centered around berries. The teacher pointed out each that we saw along the trail, and let the kids taste the edibles. The first sample was a cranberry. Teacher warned them it was not sweet. I couldn't get around the mom and stroller in front of me quick enough to get Matthew spitting it out. You can see a remnant drop on his bottom lip.
Uhm...yeah, we didn't go that way.

Went to the other side and found these guys.
We learned today that if you are unsure whether a berry is safe to eat, check how it is growing. If it is hanging and/or droopy, like these currants.........and this vitamin C filled Rose Hip......then it is most likely edible.
But, if it is growing up, like these Red Elderberries, then it is considered not edible and likely poisonous. (Red Elderberries ARE poisonous.)

We've had 30 or 31 consecutive days of rain. Broke the 1951 record. I was so glad that the sun decided to come out today! The sky was beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment