So, I got a sticker chart out and told Emma she could earn a sticker for every night she stayed in bed. Once she had 5 stickers, we'd go get a new, bigger and improved bike. That sounded like a great idea to her at the time. She didn't stay in bed. She asked about her sticker this morning. Sorry, you didn't stay in bed last night. "Oh well, I don't want a new bike anyway." AAAHHHHHH!!! This is the problem with motivating her......extrinsic motivation doesn't work and tapping into intrinsic has proven impossible too. On the way home from somewhere the other day, she asked about doing something when we got home. I can't remember now what it was, but it was something we haven't done in while that she really loves doing....maybe it was go to the park or something. I said, "Sure, after you guys get the toys picked up in the basement." Her reply, "Na, too much trouble."
Monday, August 3, 2009
Biking
So, I got a sticker chart out and told Emma she could earn a sticker for every night she stayed in bed. Once she had 5 stickers, we'd go get a new, bigger and improved bike. That sounded like a great idea to her at the time. She didn't stay in bed. She asked about her sticker this morning. Sorry, you didn't stay in bed last night. "Oh well, I don't want a new bike anyway." AAAHHHHHH!!! This is the problem with motivating her......extrinsic motivation doesn't work and tapping into intrinsic has proven impossible too. On the way home from somewhere the other day, she asked about doing something when we got home. I can't remember now what it was, but it was something we haven't done in while that she really loves doing....maybe it was go to the park or something. I said, "Sure, after you guys get the toys picked up in the basement." Her reply, "Na, too much trouble."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I feel your pain - this happens in my house a lot..eg. If you do these chores I'll pay you money and you can buy that (pick a toy from recent wish list)..."naaa, I don't need it that bad!" - If you come up with the miracle solution please share :0)
ReplyDelete